Développé Academy of Dance provides exemplary dance tuition for students from the age of 3 years upwards. We offer classes in classical Ballet following the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) graded and vocational syllabi, for more information about the RAD please follow this link. www.rad.org.uk We also offer non-syllabus Jazz classes.
Our Ethos Statement: "Inspiring achievements through creative artistry with care as to nourish and nurture is to flourish and further."
- Where all students are regarded important and are valued as individuals, we endeavour to be inclusive of any needs/differences of others. We place a strong emphasis on equality and are supportive, respectful, fair, dignified and courteous at all times.
- Promoting a positive learning experience by evaluating and monitoring potential whilst endeavouring to take a holistic approach to training, where time enables a thinking, confident learner/dancer to emerge, who is able to optimise self-discipline and self-motivation gaining independence.
- Incorporating the role of dance in the development of the whole person, rewarding achievement through established awards recognized within legislative frameworks.
- Adhering to child protection and codes of professional conduct and practice in accordance with the needs and requirements of the profession and country of work.
- “REGISTERED TEACHERS must maintain up to date knowledge, understanding and skills relevant to the profession and be able to teach dance effectively.” (RAD Code of Conduct and Professional Practice.)
- “Are required to teach consistently to a high standard and encourage students to have high aspirations and expectations.” (RAD Code of Conduct and Professional Practice.)
Principal - Louise Fairweather-Chapman RAD RTS
Louise successfully passed all her Royal Academy of Dance children’s exams in classical ballet and progressed through all three levels of the classical Dance Education Syllabus (DES) and major vocational syllabus up to Intermediate (now equivalent to Intermediate/Advanced 1) level. Louise also secured Intermediate level (now also equivalent to Advanced Level 1) in other dance genres (Modern Theatre Dance Branch and National). Louise holds the Elementary Exam in the genres of Ballet and Tap (now equivalent to Intermediate) with examinations taken through the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dance (ISTD) at King Slocombe School of Dance in Cambridge under the direction of Principals Tina Pilgrim (RAD teacher and examiner) and the late Betty King.
During her student training years Louise successfully auditioned for three vocational schools accepting and attending two full time vocational schools consecutively .The former was with London College of Dance and Drama the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing College (ISTD) and the latter a foundation year at Bodywork Dance Company in Cambridge (now known as Cambridge Performing Arts) under the direction of Principal Theresa Kerr and the late Patrick Kerr.
Prior to getting married and starting a family Louise danced for a brief period and taught in the Independent dance sector in leading schools in both Cambridge and Bedford. As a young dancer her first job was working for Fossett’s Circus wearing an original costume from Sadler’s Wells Big Top promoting the role of Mrs Tittlemouse from Beatrix Potter in arenas and carnivals in and around London.
Louise’s ambition has always been to teach dance, particularly classical ballet and gaining her teaching qualification through the RAD has secured her passion and life’s desire to combine her love of dance, love of teaching and love of children within her chosen professional career.
Louise qualified in November 2014 with the Awards Day graduation taking place on July 8th 2015 at St Mary’s Church, Battersea in London. Former Principal Ballerina of the Royal Ballet, Strictly Come Dancing judge, Author and Royal Academy of Dance President Darcey Bussell OBE, CBE presented just over 150 students from more than 22 countries with their certificates.
Louise holds a current First Aid Certificate; Child Protection Certificate; Fire Safety Certificate; Health and Safety Certificate; Preventing Bullying Certificate; Equality and Diversity Certificate; Enhanced DBS Certificate and has Public Liability Insurance.